This baroque statue stood originally on the ‘Lange Brücke’, the present Rathausbrücke. The design of the statue was clearly inspired by the Marcus Aurelius example. The elector seated on his horse without stir ups, half in Roman dress and half in the dress of his time. In World War II, the statue was brought into safety. However on its way back after the war the boat with the statue sank in the harbour of Tegel. In 1949, the statue was recovered and erected at its present site, the courtyard of the Charlottenburg castle. The original pedestal that stayed behind in East Germany can now be seen in the entrance hall of the Bode Museum in Berlin with a synthetic replica of the statue on it.
Home | Friedrich Wilhelm, Kurfürst