The main front of the Basel Minster has two towers. The northern tower is called Georgsturm (64.2 m) and the southern tower is called Martinsturm (62.7 m). The towers are named after the saint George and saint Martin. Copies of both saints are portrayed by corresponding equestrian sculptures next to the main entrance upon high pilasters below the particular towers.
St. George is shown lancing a very small and a not very intimidating dragon. The statue is from 1372. It is not known where the original sculpture is.