Bernini worked for four to eight years on the statue. After the sculptor’s death in 1680, the sculpture remained in his studio until it was taken to Paris in 1684 or 1685. Not meeting with the king’s approval, the work was sent to Versailles and transformed by Francois Girardon into a statue of Marcus Curtius. A bronze copy of the statue was placed in the Cour de Napoleon of the Louvre in 1988. The marble original is in the Orangerie of the Versailles palace.
Home | Louis XIV / Curtius, Marcus