Louis IX

During the 1904 World’s Fair, a plaster statue of Louis IX, sculpted by Charles Henry Niehaus, was erected near the park’s entrance. After the fair, the Louisiana Purchase Exposition Company decided to present a bronze version of the sculpture to the City of St Louis. W. R. Hodges, whose bid was considerably lower than that of the disappointed Niehaus, cast the plaster in bronze. The statue served as a symbol of St Louis until the completion of the Gateway Arch in 1965.

ShareShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInGoogle+Email to someone