There are two equestrian statues in the UK portraying Queen Victoria, both showing the young queen riding side saddle. Both statues form a group with an equestrian statue of Prince Albert.
This striking sculpture of the young Queen Victoria riding side-saddle was commissioned to match the one of Prince Albert already completed by Thornycroft and unveiled in 1866. The Queen’s hat is generously plumed, and, appropriately for this position outside St George’s Hall, she bears the St. George’s riband as a sash across her breast. The fine detail of the statue is most easily seen from below in the “embroidered” crown and scrolling, as well as the fringe, of the ceremonial saddle-blanket. In a description from the Art Journal, the horse is seen as “full of impatient action, which tells on the sway of the figure; an effect difficult to express well in sculpture”. The Queen holds what looks like a small sceptre, but is actually the handle of a riding crop, the rest of which has been lost. The drape of her voluminous skirt can be seen in the right-hand profile.